Thank you for contacting Schiller International University!

We will be in touch shortly!

Arbeiten während des Studiums

Working part-time during your studies

Generally all students in Germany can work also during the semester. It is recommended not to work more than 20 hours per week, otherwise you have to pay taxes and for social insurances.

Students from the European Union do not need a work permit to work part-time during their studies.

Students from non-EU countries may work 120 full days or 240 half days per year. Once they get a residence permit, a work permit for 120 full days or 240 half days is included. For all employment activities that go beyond this scope, students must apply for a work permit with the responsible authorities (immigration authorities and Federal Labor Agency). The employment permit is only granted, if this does not have adverse effects on the applicant’s studies.

Jobs on campus are not included in the 120 day rule. Students who work and serve the school on a University Service Grant can work up to a total of 40 hours per month and are able to earn the costs of one course per semester.

Internships that are a part of your studies are not included in the 120 day rule and do not require a work permit.

After graduation

Students from non-EU countries, who graduated at SIU, are allowed to remain in Germany for the purpose of looking for employment for a maximum of 18 months after graduation. Again, graduates are allowed to work for 120 full days or 240 half days during those 18 months.

People with special skills can apply for a Blue Card EU to live and work in Germany. Prerequisites are a university degree and proof of employment with a gross yearly salary of at least 44,000 Euro. For engineers, doctors, IT specialists and natural scientists the gross yearly salary must be at least 34,944 Euro.

For any help please contact our Career Service.


call admissions.schiller_hei